The Editor’s guide to the best things to do, read, eat, watch and listen to this month.
CELERY JUICE: I started drinking celery juice in the morning on an empty stomach, and I noticed a difference in the way I felt almost immediately.
This article explains the benefits of drinking celery juice.
You should see and feel results in as little as seven days after starting your celery juice habit. If you’re really not feeling well, you may want to start slowly with 6-8 ounces and build up to 16 ounces from there. You should notice a difference in digestion and gut health in as little as 4 to 5 days.
Listen to this episode of the Medical Medium podcast and learn about the benefits of drinking celery juice and how to get started. Be sure to check out other episodes of the Medical Medium podcast.
QUEEN OF THE WORLD HBO: Queen Elizabeth II has given privileged access to Oxford Films to capture the Queen, her staff, her family and her residences to tell the story of how the Commowealth has been a central focus and passion throughout Her Majesty’s life. Recently released on HBO, have a look at the trailer below.
MASTER THE MESS | HELLO SUNSHINE NETWORK: It features The Home Edit team, a traveling duo of professional organizers made up of Nashville-based Clea Shearer and Joanna Teplin. You can browse The Home Edit Instagram account to see more beautifully organized spaces, and you can also subscribe to their blog to learn more tips and tricks for home organization.
SABA NEW ORLEANS: Alton Shaya’s new Israeli restaurant is now open in New Orleans.
EAT WITH SAFTA: Alton Shaya expanded his growing restaurant empire with a new Israeli restaurant in Denver.
EAT FIT KING CAKE: Molly Kimball, registered dietitian and founder of Ochsner Eat Fit has worked closely with John Caluda of Caluda’s Cottage Catering to develop this Eat Fit King Cake that’s also Gluten Free, Grain Free, Low Carb and Keto-approved. For the current list of Eat Fit King Cake retailers and more information visit OchsnerEatFit.com and follow @EatFitNOLA on Instagram and Facebook for daily updates.
ALL ABOUT CAKE | CHRISTINA TOSI: I love Christina Tosi’s creativity and passion for baking. Her latest book is a collection of cake recipes.
MICHAEL BUBLE LOVE: Love is Buble’s most romantic record to date, beginning with the lead single “When I Fall in Love.”
UNEXPLAINED MYSTERIES E27: Malaysia Airlines Flight 370: Less than one hour into its flight, Malaysia Airlines flight 370 disappeared from the skies. Despite all of the geo-location technology that exists, and more than $160 million in a search and recovery effort, the whereabouts of flight MH370, and the circumstances of its disappearance over the Indian Ocean in 2014 remain a mystery. The hosts present a very detailed account of the incident.
THE ULTIMATE MARRIAGE PODCAST: Ultimate Marriage is hosted by Dale and Veronica Partridge. The podcast is about understanding and implementing God’s ultimate design for husband and wife. It’s about love, humilty, and truth. Dale and Veronica haven’t innovated some revolutionary approach to marriage. They simply committed to doing what the Bible instructs even when it’s uncomfortable, unpopular, or down right difficult. If you are single, you can still benefit from listening.
P.S. If you have some recommendations, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
19. Airport wifi can be a security nightmare. Here’s what you can do to stop cyber criminals.
20. How Herb Kelleher made the world a whole lot smaller. The Southwest Airlines cofounder was a pioneering entrepreneur who changed the way we travel. He was also a world-class wit, a bon vivant, and a not-so-closet intellectual.
Note: Links are not endorsements and do not necessarily represent my opinion.
1. Kate Middleton and Pippa Middleton’s mother, Carole Middleton, has given her first ever interview. As well as discussing her royal grandchildren, Carole opened up about how life has changed since her daughter married Prince William.
4. SWEET LAUREL: The recipes are grain-free, gluten-free and dairy-free. The recipes focus on using a few ingredients to create wholesome and delicious desserts. If you are looking for a simpler way to bake or dealing with food restrictions, this book is for you. The cake recipes are my favorite.
6. MOTHER JEANS: My new go-to denim brand. The high-rise waist is my favorite style.
7. STASHER REUSABLE FOOD STORAGE BAGS: I pack a lot of food to eat when I travel. The Stasher bags do not take up a lot of space and allow me to heat food on the road. Stasher bags are safe for use in the microwave, a standard oven, or a pot of boiling water up to 400F. Stasher can take the heat, the cold, and anything else your kitchen dishes out. Thanks to the patented airtight seal, all of your food’s nutrients, flavors and juices stay locked in.
8. LOVE STAMP: The Love postage stamp for USPS “Love Flourishes” is designed by Anna Rifle Bond. She is the founder of Rifle Paper Company in Orlando, Florida.
9. BISCUIT BEDDING: I love the beautiful floral patterns. The sheets are also very high quality.
10. RESTORE SINUS SPRAY: Since the neti-pot did not work for me, I was happy to find a solution for occasional allergies. Restore Sinus Spray is designed to help you cleanse, soothe, and hydrate the delicate membranes lining your nasal passages.
Start your daily beauty and hygiene regimen by gently flushing your sinuses with Restore’s proprietary blend of trace minerals suspended in purified water. It’s the perfect rinse for the dust, pollen, and other airborne particulates and irritants we are exposed to in our daily environment.
12. QUIP ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH: I like to travel with an electric tooth brush. The Quip design is light weight and battery operated.
What are some of your favorite things? Tell me in the comments.
P.S. YOU MAY HAVE MISSED:
LINK LOVE: DNA testing kits ask you to swab and send but what happens to your sample? + Portland Maine Restaurant Guide + Best New Restaurants in USA + Cardiologist’s Guide: How to Prevent Heart Disease + How to Keep Devices Safe While Traveling + Pilot Risking His Life to Fulfill Richard Branson’s Commercial Space Travel + More!
If you are looking for a great attraction for kids, don’t miss Diggerland USA. Diggerland is a construction-themed adventure park where children and their families drive, ride and operate heavy machinery in a safe, family-friendly environment.
19. The murder of Mickey Bryan, a quiet fourth-grade teacher, stunned her small Texas town. Then her husband, a beloved high school principal, was charged with killing her. Did he do it, or had there been a terrible mistake? Part I and Part II is here.
Link Love: Understanding the Struggles of Women Over 35 and Single + How to Get Smartphone Ready for Travel + Houston Travel Guide + Lyme Disease Prevention + Brazilian Cheese Bread + Is Free Spotify Worth It? + Salad Recipes + Things to Know if you have Celiac Disease + More!
The Chic List features the best things to do, eat, read, watch and listen to this spring.
1.ENNEAGRAM TEST: The Enneagram is a profound and powerful guide to understanding your personality and inner workings. The Enneagram is an ancient personality typing system that identifies Nine Personality Types that are expressed individually and in relationship to others. Unlike Marston’s DiSC Assessment or the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, the Enneagram acts as a unique tool for understanding and explaining human behavior, and the underlying motivations that drive behavior and the gifts we all have for the transformation of non-productive encounters with others.
Want to know your enneagram type? Just take this simple 5-minute enneagram test.
THE ROAD BACK TO YOU AN ENNEAGRAM JOURNEY TO SELF-DISCOVERY | Ian Morgan Cron and Suzanne Stabile: This book allows you to understand more about each of the Enneagram types. Beginning with changes you can start making today, the wisdom of the Enneagram can help you get on the road that will take you further along into who you really are leading you into places of spiritual discovery you would never have found on your own, and paving the way to the wiser, more compassionate person you want to become.
THE PATH BETWEEN US | Suzanne Stabile: Suzanne Stabile’s new book on the nine Enneagram types and how they behave and experience relationships will guide readers into deeper insight about themselves, their types, and others’ personalities so that they can have healthier, more life-giving relationships.
2.PASSPORT D.C. EUROPEAN EMBASSY TOUR: The Delegation of the European Union to the United States and the Embassies of 28 EU Member States to the United States will open their doors to the public during the EU Embassies’ Open House Day in Washington, D.C. The day will offer a unique opportunity to experience the country’s cultural heritage and national traditions.
1. TRUE ROOTS | Kristen Cavallari shares her collection of clean recipes. Pick this one up if you are looking for easy gluten-free and dairy-free recipes. If you liked Gwyneth Paltrow’s cookbooks, this one is similar.
2.MAGNOLIA TABLE | Joanna Gaines shares the Gaines family’s favorite recipes as well as ones from their two eateries, Magnolia Table and Silos Baking Co. Recipes include chicken pot pie, white cheddar bisque, fried chicken with sticky poppy seed jam, and chocolate chip cookies. Jo also shares stories and photos about her life.
1. THE RATIONAL BIBLE | Dennis Prager: Why do so many people think the Bible, the most influential book in world history, is outdated? Why do our friends and neighbors dismiss the Bible as irrelevant, irrational, immoral, or all of these things? This explanation of the Book of Exodus, the second book of the Bible, will demonstrate that the Bible is not only powerfully relevant to today’s issues, but completely consistent with rational thought.
The Rational Bible is the fruit of Dennis Prager’s forty years of teaching the Bible to people of every faith, and no faith. On virtually every page, you will discover how the text relates to the contemporary world and to your life.
2. MARLON BRUNDO’S DAY IN THE LIFE OF THE VICE PRESIDENT | Charlotte Spence and Karen Pence: This children’s book is written byVice President Mike Pence‘s daughter, Charlotte, and illustrated by his wife, Karen, and tells the tale of how one cute little BOTUS (Bunny of the United States) experiences White House life. It is well written and beautifully illustrated. Proceeds from the book will go to an art therapy program called Tracy’s Kids and a nonprofit, A21, that’s working to end slavery and human trafficking.
3. 12 RULES FOR LIFE: Jordan Peterson: Jordan Peterson is a psychologist whose writing combines science and common sense. The book covers his twelve rules for life. Peterson believes that the cure for society starts with curing the individual. Peterson’s well-known advice to clean your room is a reflection of the truth that if you can’t even manage the most basic and mundane responsibilities of life, then you have no business dictating to others how to fix society.
1. MY FAIR LADY: My Fair Lady returns to Broadway’s Lincoln Center Theatre. Henry Higgins, an English professor of phonetics, makes a bet that he can transform Eliza Doolittle, a Cockney flower girl, into a lady. The musical is nominated for 10 Tony Awards.
2. WILD WILD COUNTRY: Wild Wild Country is a new six-episode Netflix docu-series about a religious cult from the early 80’s. Led by Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and his personal assistant, Ma Anand Sheela, the movement successfully convinced many thousands of well-educated people to move to the tiny town of Antelope, Oregon, where they attempted to establish a utopian city called Rajneeshpuram. The cult followers clashed with local residents and the government in the process.
3. TERMINAL: Terminal stars Margo Robbie and Mike Myers so that’s reason enough to go see this one. The story follows two assassins with a sinister mission, a fatally ill teacher, an enigmatic janitor and a waitress with a double life. Murderous consequences unravel as their lives meet at the hands of a criminal mastermind wanting revenge.
My favorite movies so far this year include the following:
4. In LA, celebrities and professional athletes are trying exotic, and sometimes unproven, techniques for injury recovery and prevention, such as hyperbaric chambers, cryotherapy, compression therapy and IV drip.
5. How one person dissolved her fibroadenoma without surgery. A fibroadenoma is type of breast cyst.
10 awesome books I’m looking forward to reading this spring.
1. THE FLIGHT ATTENDANT | Chris Bohjalian: A powerful story about the ways an entire life can change in one night. A flight attendant wakes up in the wrong hotel, in the wrong bed, with a dead man and no idea what happened.
2. I’LL BE GONE IN THE DARK | Michelle McNamara: For more than ten years, a mysterious and violent predator committed sexual assault and murders of dozens of victims. Then he disappeared, eluding capture by multiple police forces and some of the best detectives in the area.
Michelle McNamara, a true crime journalist who created the popular website TrueCrimeDiary.com, spent many years trying to solve the case of California serial killer and rapist she’d dubbed ‘The Golden State Killer’. Her investigation is detailed in her book.
3. THE KREMLIN CONSPIRACY | Joel C. Rosenberg: New York Times best-selling author Joel C. Rosenberg’s latest novel is a political thriller. The plot is about a rising Russian czar hungry for power and plotting military action. It reminds me of the current political narrative in Russia.
4. LADY RED AN INTIMATE PORTRAIT OF NANCY REAGAN | Sheila Tate: As the First Lady’s press secretary, Tate was at Mrs. Reagan’s side during some of the most tumultuous and controversial moments of President Reagan’s first term in office, including his attempted assassination. Tate, who considered herself a close confidant of Mrs. Reagan up until her passing in 2016, draws on her relationship with Mrs. Reagan as well as interviews with many friends and political figures to reveal stories that have never been told before and showcase a more complete and surprising picture of the former First Lady.
5. THE LIGHT WITHIN ME | Ainsley Earhardt: Ainsley Earhardt is the co-host of Fox and Friends. Her new memoir is an uplifting look at her life and her spiritual journey, reflecting on her family, her faith, and her successful career. I wanted to be a news reporter so I’m looking forward to reading about Ainsley’s path to success as well as her spiritual journey.
6. THE PATH BETWEEN US | Suzanne Stabile: Suzanne Stabile’s new book on the nine Enneagram types and how they behave and experience relationships will guide readers into deeper insight about themselves, their types, and others’ personalities so that they can have healthier, more life-giving relationships.
Most of us have no idea that others don’t see us as we see ourselves nor do they process their experience in the same way we do. Whether with intimate relationships, friends, or co-workers, a person whose go-to stance in life relies on feeling and another whose orientation is toward thinking or acting will respond completely differently to everything from simple request in an email to a life crisis. Understanding the motivations and dynamics of these different personality types can be the key that unlocks sometimes mystifying behavior in others, and in ourselves.
Suzanne also hosts a podcast about the Enneagram Journey.
7. BACHELOR NATION | Amy Kaufman: Kaufman is a Los Angeles Times reporter and a fan of The Bachelor. For her book, she interviewed dozens of contestants and producers. If you are a fan of Bachelor nation, it’s a juicy read.
8. LOVE LIKE YOU’VE NEVER BEEN HURT | Jentezen Franklin: A helpful book to deal with different situations involving conflict. It’s challenging to get along with people who reject us, cause us pain, attack our views or cause other hurts. This book is about reconciliation and establishing healthy boundaries. It is also not an invitation to not be used as a doormat. I can’t recommend this one enough.
9. THE WIFE BETWEEN US | Greer Hendricks: Vanessa, recently divorced from Richard, learns he is engaged again and envies the new woman, Nellie. Richard is a hedge-fund manager and may be deceiving one or both women. Read this is you like Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train.
10. THE GRAVE TENDER | Eliza Maxwell: Haunting, disturbing, yet beautifully written The Grave Tender is a shocking tale of deception and betrayal and one woman’s attempt to reconcile the truth about her family and the secrets that they keep.
Looking for more good books, check out all my recommendations here.