Let’s talk about morning routine ideas! Several years ago, I implemented a morning routine. After listening to Andrew Huberman’s podcast episode about Habits, I learned more about the science of habits. I also read James Clear’s book, Atomic Habits.
I have found that sticking to a morning routine sets me up for a successful day.
Most of the tasks can be completed in 30 minutes. The only rule is: do what works for you.
Let’s jump in.
Salt Water Rinse: I do this first thing every morning. I make a saltwater solution to keep in my bathroom. (16oz of spring water to 1oz of salt in a mason jar)
Tongue Scraping: Tongue scraping helps remove bacteria, eliminates bad breath, and restores oral hygiene. I use Dr. Tong’s Tongue Cleaner.
- Place cleaner on the tongue as far back as possible.
- Gently glide the cleaner forward, scraping off unwanted matter.
- Repeat 3-4 times.
- Rinse well.
- Use twice daily for best results (e.g., first thing in the morning and before bed).
Drink Water: Before bed, I fill a glass pitcher with water and leave the pitcher by my Somavedic. The Somavedic is used for structured water. I pour a glass of water and sometimes add freshly squeezed lemon juice to drink as part of my morning routine. I try to drink between 80-100 oz. of water each day. I use a Berkey Water Filter.
Here are some reasons why I love drinking a glass (or two) of lemon water first thing in the morning:
1. It aids in digestion. This drink will help relax your bowels and promote elimination. The warm lemon water will also dissolve mucus in the body, flush and support the liver, and help with the absorption of minerals.
2. It boosts your immune system. It is an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium, and folate.
3. It balances pH levels. Lemons are one of the most alkalizing foods for the body. When our pH level increases, it means our body is becoming more acidic, which makes it more prone to disease. Drinking lemon water will help improve the alkalinity of our bodies.
4. It’s a natural energizer. Lemon juice provides your body with energy when it enters your digestive tract.
5. It’s cleansing. The citric acid in lemons helps maximize enzyme function, which stimulates the liver and aids in detoxification.
6. It makes your skin glow. Vitamin C helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Lemons also purify the blood, which keeps your skin clear and fresh looking.
7. It promotes healing. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C), abundant in lemons, promotes wound healing and is an essential nutrient for healthy bones, connective tissue, and cartilage.
8. It freshens your breath. The acidity in lemons helps destroy bacteria in your mouth that promotes bad breath.
9. It hydrates your lymph system. Drinking lemon juice and water in the morning is an excellent way to avoid dehydration as well as adrenal fatigue.
10. It aids in weight loss. Lemons are full of pectin fiber, which helps curb hunger cravings.
Supplements: Supplements have been a crucial part of my recovery and my ability to manage the symptoms that I deal with due to autoimmune issues.
Everyone should have their Vitamin D level tested. The 25-hydroxy vitamin D test is the most accurate way to measure how much vitamin D is in your body.
NutraEval is a comprehensive nutritional evaluation to identify specific imbalances of vitamins, nutrients, and essential co-factors, and most importantly, it helps determine if you have DNA damage. DNA damage will lead to premature aging, chronic disease, chronic disease, cancer, and death. Reversing DNA damage is possible through IV nutrition and working on the detoxification pathway. Most insurance companies cover the test.
I take more immune-supporting supplements during cold and flu season.
Supplements for Immune Support:
- Argentyn Silver: 2 to 3 droppers full twice a day; hold under tongue for 20 seconds, swallow or gargle for 20 seconds, then drink.
- Vitamin C: Supplementing with Vitamin C is crucial to maintaining a robust immune system, yet most Vitamin C supplements are highly acidic and cause GI upset. Alkalizing Vitamin C is a powerful immune booster balanced with added calcium, magnesium, and potassium benefits. These alkaline minerals help to reduce possible stomach upset by balancing acidity levels, making for a more accessible supplementation.
- Zinc: Take one tablet twice a day
- Vitamin D3 Liquid: Zinc and Vitamin D support your immune system.
- Quercetin: 250 mg 2 pills a day. It helps delivers Zinc into the cells.
- Vitamin A drops: Vitamin A is effective at killing bacteria and viruses, as is higher-dose Vitamin C.
- Liposomal Glutathione: This antioxidant is essential in helping the body’s cellular defenses and immune system function at total capacity. It is the most important antioxidant for the liver to detoxify.
- Elderberry: Elderberries have powerful immune-supporting properties, are high in vitamins A and C, and are wonderful antioxidants. Studies show they are effective in preventing and treating colds and flu.
Where I Purchase My Supplements:
Make Bed: To change the world, start by making your bed. This task is from the book, Make Your Bed by Admiral William H. McRaven, based on his commencement speech to the University of Texas at Austin graduating class. McRaven believes that if you make your bed every morning, you will have accomplished the day’s first task. It will give you a small sense of pride and encourage you to do another task and another and another. By the end of the day, that one task will have turned into many tasks completed. Making your bed will also reinforce the fact that little things in life matter. If you can’t do the little things right, you will never do the big things right.
Gua Sha Facial Massage: A Gua Sha facial works on the face’s connective tissue, the facial fascia, which helps lift and release the facial muscles. When done right, the routine increases circulation plumps the skin, and removes blockages. I use the Gua Sha tool designed by Cecily Braden, creator of the Gua Sha Facial Fusion method.
Gua Sha is an ancient healing technique that clears blockages, creating space and movement in the underlying structures so the skin can function better. By increasing movement through Gua Sha massage, the skin can naturally clear blockages that lead to acne, Rosacea, puffiness, dark circles, fine lines, and wrinkles, and overall strengthen the skin’s immunity. To use, gently glide the tool across the skin and down the sides of the neck. I recommend viewing Cecily’s tutorials on Instagram. Danna Omari also designed her own Gua Sha tool. Dani has several instructional videos on Instagram.
Bulletproof Coffee: I make bulletproof coffee. I add MCT oil and butter to my coffee and blend with one scoop of Bulletproof Vanilla Collagen Powder in my Nutrabullet. I also love lattes. I have a Breville espresso machine. I like to use Temple Dharma Espresso. Here’s a list of my favorite tools, products, and resources for drinking coffee or espresso at home.
Read and Pray: I read a Daily Devotional while I drink coffee. I believe so much in spending time with the Lord every morning in prayer. I like to use this prayer journal.
I also enjoy reading several newsletters and blogs. If I am working, I may read the newsletters or blogs later. I like to use the Feedly app to read blogs. For my Substack subscriptions, I use the Substack app.
Serial App: Serial Reader is an app that delivers literature to your phone in daily snippets that you can read in 20 minutes. This is hands down my favorite find in 2023. I am currently reading the Federalist Papers.
A few newsletters I enjoy reading:
The Glance: The Glance gives you everything you need to know about politics, pop culture, and more in a quick read.
Morning Brew: Morning Brew is a daily email newsletter that covers timely news stories in tech, business, and finance.
I also subscribe to local newsletters to plan my weekends. When I was based in BWI, this weekly newsletter dropped on Thursdays with 35 Things to Do in the DC area.
Click here for a list of my favorite workout apps, streaming services, equipment, and products for home gym and hotel room workouts.
Calmish Shape Body Gua She Rose Quartz: The Calmish Shape Body Gua Sha is designed for reducing cellulite and tightening loose skin on the thighs, butt, legs, belly, and arms. The long textured side reduces adhesions within the superficial facia layers, and the 3 waved top side works on the deeper facia layers. The smooth side is for classic body Gua Sha techniques and lymphatic drainage.
Benefits of Regular Gua Sha Massage:
- Improves blood circulation
- Reduces cellulite
- Supports lymphatic drainage
- Promotes a healthy vital glow to the skin
- Promotes skin renewal
- Improves muscle tone
- It gives you softer, smoother, and firmer skin
- Reduces pain, tension, and accumulation of cellulite
- More flow and energy in the body (Qi)
Morning Light: I enjoy listening to neuroscientist Andrew Huberman’s podcast. I have implemented many of his recommendations, including getting morning light. On a sunny morning, get outside for 5-10 minutes. You can do more if you have time, and feel free to use the time outdoors to exercise, walk, eat a light breakfast, or journal in the sunlight. Even on overcast days, there is still enough sunlight to trigger positive effects, but you’ll need to increase the time outside to at least 15-20 minutes. If it’s dark when you wake up, or the weather prevents you from going outdoors, flip on as many bright indoor artificial lights as possible — then get outdoors as soon as the sun is out.
Green Smoothie: I usually do intermittent fasting and do not eat until I’m hungry. I drink a green smoothie or green juice after my workout if I am traveling for work. Sometimes I eat gluten-free oatmeal and scrambled eggs for breakfast at home.
Farmer’s Markets: On the weekends, I like to go to the farmer’s market to buy fresh salad greens for the week ahead. I plan my meals for the week based on what is available. I set aside one day a week for meal prep.
My morning skincare routine includes the following:
My favorite products from Living Libations include:
Everybody Loves the Sunshine Zinc Beach Balm Sun Protection: This is my favorite sun protection. Zinc oxide is an excellent option as a sunblock. It is a white, inorganic compound created from metallic zinc. Everybody Loves the Sunshine Zinc Beach Balm is ideal for travel. It’s a roll-on balm, so you don’t have to worry about the contents leaking in your luggage or beach bag. Living Libations uses a non-nano particle, uncoated, pharmaceutical-grade zinc oxide. Unlike nano-particle minerals and chemical sunblocks, zinc doesn’t interfere with the health or respiration of the skin. The molecular size of zinc particles is too large to be absorbed by the skin. Instead, it sits on top and absorbs sun rays, protecting the skin.
Seabuckthorn Facial Cleansing Oil: I use this for facial massage.
Living Libations Happy Gum Drops Oil Swishing Serum: I use this serum for my oil-pulling routine. Oil Swishing or Oil Pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic medicinal practice used to detoxify the mouth, teeth, gums, and entire oral cavity. Oil swishing may eliminate the bacteria that cause oral issues. It is best to swish before you eat or drink first thing in the morning.
Vita-Pik Gum Syringe: This pack of two blunt-tipped syringes provides a durable and re-usable (non-electric) pen-size applicator designed to deliver salt water, tooth serums, or diluted hydrogen peroxide to the gums and between teeth. Use the syringe to treat receding gums.
Ionic Tooth Brush: The ionic toothbrush cleans differently from the standard manual or electric toothbrush, which uses brushing and friction to remove food buildup and plaque. The manual brush’s ionic toothbrush has an ionic charge that ionizes your saliva. It momentarily reverses the polarity of the tooth exterior from negative to positive, repelling plaque from the teeth and pulling it towards the negatively charged toothbrush head.
Living Libations Oil Pulling Serum: It heals the gums and helps prevent sinus infections.
Do you do anything in your morning routine you would like to share?
Don’t miss my monthly newsletter packed with obsessively-curated recommendations. Sign up and get my newsletter delivered right to your Inbox. It’s free and packed with travel guides, recipes, resources, and more!
You May Have Missed: